Skip to main content

Album cover artwork



A friend of mine is soon to release an EP (exciting!) and has asked me to come up with an album cover! I'm at the beginning of the process, so I'm just about coming to grips with the massive amount of responsibility that's been given to me. 

As a massive music fan, over the years certain album covers have come to define the music itself. (T.Rex Live in Concert 1993; David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust; every Led Zep album; Pearl Jam, Ten; Funkadelic, Maggot Brain; Guns and Roses, Appetite for Destruction; Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon; Foos, Santana, Blur, Stone Roses jOY DIVISION STEVIE NICKS AC/D- okay the list is quite endless. 

The (allegedly) cold, hard truth is that the album cover has to reflect the songs perfectly. So after a good week of listening to nothing but the wonderful Will Dunn's unfinished EP, I felt brave enough to begin coming up with ideas. 

When in doubt - run to collage. That's my motto. So I did. Results below. I'll work these into proper working designs soon.


 ^I was walking past a book shelf in my house when I accidentally took a photo with my phone. It came out blurry, but I loved the texture and the colours. I'm using it as a mock background for now (with possible use in the future?)



^Because a graceful-moving ballerina giraffe-butterfly is just what you needed to see today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spider concept art

This is the finished piece, I made the clock greener for a more realistic dusty light. Shadows in the rest of the clock draw more attention to the slice of light peaking out of the crack.  Also, it further defines the differences of what Spider is used to (dark) and what he isn't. (light of day)

life drawing

i like the way i drew the life model's legs here.. potentially showing progress in getting to grips with emphasised yet anatomically correct body parts.

sketchbook work continues